ADSM-L

NT 4.0 Bare Metal Restore

2015-10-04 17:59:01
Subject: NT 4.0 Bare Metal Restore
From: owner-adsm-l (INTERNET.OWNERAD) at SNADGATE
To: Jerry Lawson at ASUPO
Date: 4/1/98 11:56PM
I saw the other response to this, but let me throw in my $.02 worth.....

First, the files you are having trouble with are normally excluded from a
backup process.  They are part of the registry backup, and are copied to the
ADSM.SYS directory, and backed up from there.  This is documented in the Bare
Metal restore book - I have an excerpt printed a while back that talks about
this in section 2.1.1 the chapter is "Using ADSM with Repair Partitions", but
the exclude is standard stuff - it's in the IBM supplied exclude list.

I have done several restores of the c: drive on my personal machine, and I
have not had a problem - because the file is excluded, you don't run into a
problem with the restore.  You get the file back by copying this file, and a
few others back manually after the restore is complete.  This is documented
in section 2.3.5

One caution - the book I have (which is SG24-4880) is aimed at NT3.5.  The
only problem I have seen in this section with NT4 is that after the restore
activities are complete, and the system has rebooted, you may not have all of
the registry information restored - customizations will be missing, etc.  To
get this stuff back, you need to do a "REGREST" command.  From the command
line ADSM interface, enter REGREST USER CURUSER.  When the restore is
complete, you need to reboot again, but your desktop and all customization
will be as it was on your last registry backup.

The above of course assumes that you did a REGBACK command as part of your
normal backup routine.

One last comment/question - the section in the manual that I referenced is
the repair partition section - I have one built on my machine.  If not, there
have been reports that you can also do the same thing "on the fly" by
installing a skeleton of NT into a directory other than WINNT, installing
ADSM (also into a different directory name), booting the machine, and then
doing a full restore.  At this point, you could follow the same repair
partition process.  When all is back to normal, you can delete the
"temporary" NT and ADSM directory.  Is this what you did?  Or do you have a
different process.?

Jerry Lawson
jlawson AT thehartford DOT com

Author:  owner-adsm-l (INTERNET.OWNERAD) at SNADGATE
Date:    4/1/98 11:56 PM

We are attempting to do a Bare Metal Restore of an NT4 server. We are using the
We are attempting to do a Bare Metal Restore of an NT4 server. We are using the
redbook and followed the guide (reading between the few lines that were there)
and have hit a snag. When we attempt to restore the first registry entries we
get the following message:

ANS4104E Write access denied in trying to restore D:\WINNT\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\SAM

We are not able to restore any of the registry files as per the instructions in
the book. Does anybody know what I am doing wrong?  Is there a procedure to
follow than the one in the Redbook?

Thanks,

Don Burdette
File item 2 original document name: RE: 7260- 3
File item 2 document type: PCDATA