ADSM-L

It's too easy !

1998-04-01 09:38:04
Subject: It's too easy !
From: Bob Matthews <Robert.Matthews AT SEINF.UNIGE DOT CH>
Date: Wed, 1 Apr 1998 16:38:04 +0200
We've been looking at the implications of migrating our PC and Mac clients to
ADSM Version 3 and have come to the conclusion that it's far too easy for users
to backup all accessed disks, both local and remote. When you start the Mac
gui, for example, a window opens containing the client's name or address which
represents the top of the filespace tree. It is sufficient to check this and
start the backup to have all visible files, both local and remote, backed up.
If the client is accessing disks on a remote server or a cd juke box the entire
contents will be backed up! In order to avoid this the user must do something,
namely expand the filespace tree and deselect the remote filespaces. In a
university environment, where anarchy reigns, this is not an acceptable
scenario. In their haste on Friday afternoon users will simply take the easy
option and backup the entire universe by checking the top of the tree.

Are we missing something or have others experienced and/or solved this problem?

Bob Matthews,
University of Geneva.