ADSM-L

Lack of monitoring and logging in ADSM?

1998-03-31 23:54:19
Subject: Lack of monitoring and logging in ADSM?
From: John Schneider <jdschn AT IBM DOT NET>
Date: Tue, 31 Mar 1998 22:54:19 -0600
Greetings,
        Is anyone else unsatisfied with the amount of logging and
monitoring features in ADSM?  It seems like almost everything is
roll-your-own.  I refer to ADSM v2.1 server under AIX for these
questions.
        Basic things like:

1) A server log.  Yes, it is possible to write a script to set up a
background process from "dsmadmc -consolemode -outfile=..." but why
do you have to set this up yourself?  And the file is close to
useless sometimes.  The file isn't even time-stamped!  Does anyone
know a way to timestamp the file?  And a lot of information that
you need is not logged.  For example, if someone starts a process,
like "checkin libvol", or "audit library", the log will show that
the process started, but not who started it?  Why not state that?

2) Scheduler logs?  Yes, it does keep a log of each client, but on
the client, not the server.  Am I supposed to log on to each client
every day to check the log, and verify that the backup ran?  No
message is produced anywhere if a scheduler dies, except on the
client itself in the scheduler?

3) I would really like some sort of reporting when things go wrong.
Last week we went several days in a row with our ADSM database
backup failing, and several systems' scheduler processes not
running.  But there is no alarming or error reports of any kind
that I can see.  Why not?  Sure, the stuff is buried in the logs,
but who has time to wade through 1000s of lines of output every
day, just looking for anything unusual.

4) I would like some sort of warning when the database or log is
close to full, so things don't come to a crashing halt without
any warning.

Have any of you thought of clever ways to:

1) Timestamp the server log?

2) Generate an alarm if a scheduler process isn't running?

3) Warn a sys admin about other problem conditions?

I know it is possible to monitor all this stuff by hand if you have
lots of time on your hands, but in reality ADSM maintenance cannot
really be anybody's full time job.  ADSM should provide you with
tools.  Is anybody in ADSM development listening?  Other backup
products (like Legato Networker) make it easy to look at a single
summary log, and tell at a glance if all the backups ran last
night, and why not for any that didn't.

TIA for any replies,

John Schneider

* John D. Schneider     * Email: jdschn AT ibm DOT net * Phone: 314-349-4556 *
* 275 Axminister        * Disclaimer: Opinions expressed here are mine*
* Fenton, MO 63026      * and mine alone.  My company is off the hook.*