ADSM-L

Novell restores taking long time

1998-03-30 06:51:52
Subject: Novell restores taking long time
From: Matthew Warren <Matthew.Warren AT MARKS-AND-SPENCER DOT COM>
Date: Mon, 30 Mar 1998 12:51:52 +0100
Hello ADSM people,

        We have a problem with restores of Novell clients. We have one
running at the moment that is restoring at a rate of approx 4 - 7 mb an
HOUR!

        An earlier restore ran smoothly and restored 400 mb in 4 hours
over a 16mbit / sec Token Ring. This restore was to a clean empty disk.

        The current slow restore has replace=no set because there are
files already on the disk we do not wish to restore over. The processor
utilisation on the Novell box is approx 4%. The ADSM server, an AIX 4
RS6000 shows no kind of wait times with a q sess and its processor is
running at about 30% and the Network is not overloaded according to the
comms people.

        As far as we can tell, ADSM sends the Novell box a chunk of
files when the Novell box requests it, and this goes over the network
quite quickly. Then the novell box sits there for ages restoring the
files / decompressing them / determining if the file should be skipped
(replace = no) before it asks for more from the ADSM server.

        We were wondering if there are any O/S parameters for Novell
that we could change to help it along (f/s buffers/cache's etc ???), or
if there are any known issues with ADSM restores on novell.

        The restore is still going, and half an office is having a lazy
day untill we can get the box back up!!

Any Novell Guru's or ADSM people who know the magic answer?!

Thanks,

Matthew Warren,
HOIST: ADSM (FAB) & Unix support
Marks and Spencer Plc