ADSM-L

Re: How to re-use 3570 tape that contain ADSB DBBackup ?

1998-03-27 10:45:16
Subject: Re: How to re-use 3570 tape that contain ADSB DBBackup ?
From: Bill Colwell <bcolwell AT DRAPER DOT COM>
Date: Fri, 27 Mar 1998 10:45:16 -0500
In <412565D4.00535F70.00 AT ln-gar02.grs DOT de>, on 03/27/98
   at 04:22 PM, Martin Marbach <MAM AT GRS DOT DE> said:

>Only a question in case of event :

>I never did it, but with the following command :
>adsm> delete volhist todate=02/13/1998 type=dbb
>and mistyping the year 1998 to 1999, all my DB-Tapes are gone, if I answer
>the (pseudo-)question >Do you wish to proceed ?< with yes. (A better
>question would be : >Do you wish to delete (e.g.) 10 Tapes ?<)

>OK - I accept it !
>but nevertheless, is there a chance to correct the situation  wihout
>starting at once
>several new fresh DB-Backups ?

>Thanks in advance
>Martin

>mam AT grs DOT de

Two comments.  Your dbb backup tapes are still good if you can
locate them thru some other list and keep them from being overwritten. There
are 4 syntaxes to the restore db command, one of them being where the
volumes aren't in the volhistory file.  To make 'some other list' you can
copy the volhist file before doing the del volhist command.

The other comment is avoid this mistake completely by using the other TODATE
syntax which is a number relative to today.

del volh type=dbb todate=-7

Bill Colwell
Bill Colwell
C. S. Draper Lab