ADSM-L

CA-1 & ADSM/MVS

2015-10-04 18:00:06
Subject: CA-1 & ADSM/MVS
From: owner-adsm-l (INTERNET.OWNERAD) at SNADGATE
To: Jerry Lawson at ASUPO
Date: 3/26/98 7:42PM
We have CA-1 and MVS, although we don't use DRM. Here's what we do:

1.  Once a day, we have a schedule that kicks off and changes all of the "full"
copypool tapes that are in Readwrite status and update them to offsite.

2.  We trap the ADSM messages that come out of this command, (I think by using
CA-Opera) and update the TMS status on these tapes to have them ejected from our
silo, and pulled for shipment offsite.

Although you didn't ask, I'll volunteer the following as well:

When the tapes are reclaimed, we do a similar process - the status will be
empty, and offsite.  We issue an admin command to change the status of these
tapes to offsite.  Again, we trap the messages, and change the status of the
tapes back to scratch.  We also compile a list of return tapes from this to come
back from offsite.

Perhaps it's just our way of working with this, but we have no problem working
with the vol-ser instead of a DSN.  Besides, all ADSM tapes have the same name,
anyway.

Jerry Lawson
jlawson AT thehartford DOT com

Author:  owner-adsm-l (INTERNET.OWNERAD) at SNADGATE
Date:    3/26/98 7:42 PM

Hi all,

We are setting up ADSM & I am having trouble working out how to handle
offsite tapes with ADSM & CA-1. We have DRM available for us to use also.
What procedures do you use to tell CA-1 that a volser is eligible to be
taken offsite as CA-1 appears to filter by dataset name but ADSM is more
volser orientated.

Tony