ADSM-L

Re: mcf42.dll - where does it come from?

2015-10-04 18:00:06
Subject: Re: mcf42.dll - where does it come from?
From: owner-adsm-l (INTERNET.OWNERAD) at SNADGATE
To: Jerry Lawson at ASUPO
Date: 3/26/98 9:25AM
Didn't mean to frighten anyone.  In reviewing my response - I did see that I
missed a couple of Question Marks - especially one on the first sentence.  I am
not 100% certain that there is a difference - I can just see where there might
be.  Perhaps Andy Raibeck could shed some light.

The internal unit that supports PCs in my department developed scripts for the
V2 clients to install upgrades on our PCs - I think the process went pretty
well.  (I do my own machine - so I have no direct experience.)  But all of our
clients are installed on the individual machines, and it has worked well for us.
I don't care about the upgrades, unless something comes out like the Win32 Level
3 client that causes problems.

Jerry Lawson

Author:  owner-adsm-l (INTERNET.OWNERAD) at SNADGATE
Date:    3/26/98 9:25 AM

Ooooooooooh, Jerry, you're frightening me!  In this case we aren't installing
the client on the workstation, we're executing the client from the
workstation, but the executable lives on the NT server and was installed from
the NT server.  We've done this for a while with V2 - Windows 95 workstations
running ADSM from a Novell server and we've had no problems.

However, I have one new workstation group I'm talking to about using ADSM and
they DO want it installed directly on the workstation.  We've discussed
putting the software on their LAN file server and sending out instructions
for installing to their workstations from the server to avoid individual
workstation visits.  Can anyone from IBM give a thumbs up or down on this
idea?

It may be a moot point, though, since V3 clients on Windows95 workstations in
conjunction with a V2 VM server isn't working very well.  I think I'm going
to have to back off the V3 client until we get set up with the V3 server on a
different platform.

ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU on 03/25/98 04:43:47 PM
Please respond to ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU @ INTERNET