ADSM-L

Re: HSM 3.1 problem

1998-03-20 13:24:23
Subject: Re: HSM 3.1 problem
From: Bill Colwell <bcolwell AT DRAPER DOT COM>
Date: Fri, 20 Mar 1998 13:24:23 -0500
In <199803201740.MAA285528 AT jm.acs.Virginia DOT EDU>, on 03/20/98
   at 12:40 PM, Dave Saunders <drs8h AT JM.ACS.VIRGINIA DOT EDU> said:

>Dear ADSM-L folks,

>  I have been trying to get HSM migration going on my system.  In
>particular, without first backing up files in a file system.  I am running:

>        AIX 4.2
>        3494 ATL
>        ADSM 3.1
>        the new HSM client for ADSM 3.1

>I have

>        installed the new HSM client code
>        defined the client node to ADSM
>        created a filesystem and invoked space management
>        set the thresholds to a point below the total space of the files in
>                the filesystem

>        created a new management class which allows for migration without
>backup
>        made this management class the default management class
>        created an include-exclude file which looks like this:

>                include /hsmtest/*
>                exclude /hsmtest/.SpaceMan

>        added the inclexcl parameter to dsm.sys
>        stoped and started everything several times.

>I have not rebooted the system.

>When I invoke "Selective Migration" from the HSM client, and select the
>filesystem I've setup, and then try to select a particular file, they all
>respond with the message:

>        <file> is not qualified for migration because
>        Space Management Technique attribute is set to None.

>When I try a different course and try to Start Threshold Migration, I get
>essentially the same message--"no candidates found in file system
>/hsmtest".

>I've also tried deleting the files and moving new versions into the file-
>system, to try to get the management class to switch to my newly-defined,
>default class.

>Anyone have any idea why this isn't working?  Thanks for your help,

>Dave Saunders
>drs8h AT virginia DOT edu

You have a very detailed list of steps, but I don't see
Activate policyset.  This is necessary to make the managementclass changes
visable to the client.

Stopping and starting the server is not sufficient.
Bill Colwell
Bill Colwell
C. S. Draper Lab
Cambridge, Ma