ADSM-L

Re: DNS name connection w/Netware

1998-03-17 05:47:57
Subject: Re: DNS name connection w/Netware
From: Matthew Warren <Matthew.Warren AT MARKS-AND-SPENCER DOT COM>
Date: Tue, 17 Mar 1998 10:47:57 -0000
I had a problem a few days ago that seems almost exactly the same.

I could ping the ADSM AIX server from the novell client, and the server
could ping the Novell box BUT dsmc sched failed with TCP/IP connection
failure...

I eventually tracked it down to the SYS:\etc\hosts file.

It seems that ping uses DNS for the name lookup not the etc/hosts but
DSMC SCHED looks in the \etc\hosts file if it finds a named address in
dsm.opt rather than a dotted ecimal address.

So, I just put the correct IP and name of the ADSM box in the clients
/etc/hosts file and all worked fine.

Matthew Warren,
ADSM(FAB) & Unix support.
        HOIST : Head Office Infrastructure Support Team.
        Marks & Spencer PLC
        Michael House
        Baker Street
        London.