ADSM-L

Re: V2 -> V3 Upgrade on AIX

1998-03-12 17:18:43
Subject: Re: V2 -> V3 Upgrade on AIX
From: Trevor Foley <Trevor.Foley AT BANKERSTRUST.COM DOT AU>
Date: Fri, 13 Mar 1998 09:18:43 +1100
Hi,

We have 3 AIX ADSM servers, 1 at V3, 1 still at V2, and one that was on
V3 until 2 days back, and has been put back to V2.

The server that was downgraded had two problems after the upgrade. We
use the VMS ADSM client from SSSI. After the upgrade most (all??)
archive operations failed with ANR0534W (size estimate exceed and server
is unable to obtain additional space in storage pool). This sounded a
little like the problem that was reported were some weeks back that
involved compression, compressalways, and cached disk storage pools. We
are not using compression, so we, nor IBM, nor SSSI, as yet understand
why this message is occurring.

We did implement that workaround mentioned for that problem though,
which was to disable caching. We did that, and then re-ran some archives
that had failed previously and didn't get the error.

However, we then noticed some pretty severe database performance
problems. This was narrowed down to a particular client session. This
session was very difficult to cancel from the server; it continually sat
in run state. Several minutes after doing a cancel session, the session
finally went away. And when it did, performance became reasonable. We
weren't comfortable with continuing with V3 though until we understood
this problem. And we still don't.

One theory is that it has something to do with the new V3 archive
packages, although from what I have read, the creation of archive
packages for archives performed prior to V3 requires a V3 client. And
SSSI have not released a new client for V3.

Hopefully I haven't scared you off your upgrade. If you do the upgrade
before ptf3 is available (supposedly by the end of the month), should be
prepared to disable disk storage pool caching if you are using it. As
for the database performance, we are still scratching our heads.

If anyone has any thoughts about these problems, we would love to hear
from you.

Trevor