ADSM-L

Re: The "incremental forever" paradigm

1998-03-12 15:30:33
Subject: Re: The "incremental forever" paradigm
From: "Prather, Wanda" <PrathW1 AT CENTRAL.SSD.JHUAPL DOT EDU>
Date: Thu, 12 Mar 1998 15:30:33 -0500
I agree that many sites do not give enough consideration to the
possibility of the media going bad, nor do they check and manage the age
and usage of the media they have.  (We do.)

But, the way to deal with this problem is NOT to drag ALL your data
across the network again!

*       Creating a copy pool tape with ADSM insures that your data is
readable after it is created.

*       Primary pool tapes get reclaimed regularly, which insures
regular media turnover.
*       Copy pool (usually offsite) tapes are relaimed as well, and
return to the scratch pool.

*       If I have a problem reading a tape during reclaim, I can
recreate it with a RESTORE command from another copy pool.

*       If I am concerned about the age of a tape because of the number
of passes or shelf life, I can just enter a MOVE DATA command, and ADSM
will give the tape back.

Of all the methodologies that have been mentioned in this thread, the
ADSM setup makes it the EASIEST to manage the media, and still without
using full dumps.

ADSM lets your network "work smarter, not harder"!

Wanda Prather
Johns Hopkins Applied Physics Lab
443-778-8769
wanda_prather AT jhuapl DOT edu

"Intelligence has much less practical application than you'd think."
              - Scott Adams/Dilbert