ADSM-L

Re: Data Base Reduction assistance required.... :-(

1998-03-10 14:43:11
Subject: Re: Data Base Reduction assistance required.... :-(
From: Claudia Masters <cmaster1 AT TUELECTRIC DOT COM>
Date: Tue, 10 Mar 1998 13:43:11 -0600
Jerry,

Here are some of the steps that we performed in order to reclaim our DB
space in our production DB.  Please
test it out in your environment.  It has been a few months since I did this
and I am relying on my old notes and memory.
Hope this helps.  The key is step 8. below!

**Note:  Be sure you are at level 2.1.0.13 or greater before proceeding!!
In order to save downtime,  I did the following steps previous to the "big"
day:

01.  Be sure to backup your DEVCONFIG and VOLHIST files.

02.  Pre-allocate and format target database and recovery log volumes.
Sample JCL:
//* ADSM-B: ALLOCATE DATABASE VOLUME ON SMS VOLUME                    *
//ALLOC    EXEC PGM=IEFBR14
//DBASE01   DD DSN=SYSDASD.ADSMB.DBASE001,
//             DISP=(NEW,CATLG,DELETE),UNIT=SYSALLDA,
//             SPACE=(401,(1)),RECORG=LS,AVGREC=M,
//             STORCLAS=SCTL,MGMTCLAS=MNOACT,VOL=SER=GC0145
//*********************************************************************
//* ADSM-B: FORMAT DATABASE VOLUME                                    *
//FORMAT1  EXEC PGM=DSMFMT,TIME=1440,DYNAMNBR=300,COND=(0,NE,ALLOC),
//             PARM='/SYSDASD.ADSMB.DBASE001'
//SYSPRINT  DD SYSOUT=*
//SYSTERM   DD SYSOUT=*
//DSMAMENG  DD DSN=SYSDASD.ADSM.ANRMSG(ANRMENU),DISP=SHR
//*
**Be sure to have plenty of both DB and recovery log space, you can always
REDUCE after the LOAD.
   I made my volumes 400MB and this allowed me to reduce easily and delete
volumes I did not need..

03.  Copy the options file and comment out volhist and devconfig backup
files.
Initialize a new ADSM server.  Allocate a new DISKLOG and initializes the
first DB
and recovery log volumes.  Do not overwrite your old DISKLOG, you may need
it to recover.
Sample JCL:
//SERVER  EXEC PGM=DSMSERV,DYNAMNBR=300,REGION=40M,
// PARM='/INSTALL 1 SYSDASD.ADSMB.RLOG001 1 SYSDASD.ADSMB.DBASE001'
//OPT       DD DSN=SYSDASD.ADSMB.OPTIONSX,DISP=MOD
//DSMAMENG  DD DSN=SYSDASD.ADSM.ANRMSG(ANRMENU),DISP=SHR
//DSK       DD DSN=SYSDASD.ADSMB.DISKLOGX,DISP=(NEW,CATLG,DELETE),
//             SPACE=(TRK,(1,1)),UNIT=3390,VOL=SER=TECHS1,
//             RECFM=FB,BLKSIZE=800,LRECL=80
//SYSPRINT  DD SYSOUT=*
//SYSTERM   DD SYSOUT=*

04.  Extend the database and recovery log.  Define each volume allocated in
 Step 02.
Sample JCL:
//EXTNDX02 EXEC PGM=ANRSERV,DYNAMNBR=300,TIME=1440,
//             PARM='/EXTEND LOG SYSDASD.ADSMB.RLOGX02 400'  ***Recovery
log extend
OR
//             PARM='/EXTEND DB SYSDASD.ADSMB.DBASE002 400'   ***Database
extend
//DSK       DD DISP=SHR,DSN=SYSDASD.ADSMB.DISKLOGX
//OPT       DD DISP=SHR,DSN=SYSDASD.ADSMB.OPTIONSX
//DSMAMENG  DD DISP=SHR,DSN=SYSDASD.ADSM.ANRMSG(ANRMENU)
//HLPAMENG  DD DISP=SHR,DSN=SYSDASD.ADSM.ANRHLP(ANRHENU)
//SYSPRINT  DD SYSOUT=*
//SYSTERM   DD SYSOUT=*
//*

05. Stop all activity on the active ADSM server:
  a.  DISABLE or DISABLE SESS (V3)
  b. CANCEL SESS xx
  c.  Update migration threshholds so it does not kick off.
  d.  Update all administrative schedules:    UPD SCHED schedname T=A
ACTIVE=N
       It will be easy if you use a batch file or macro.  After all is
done, you can change ACTIVE=Y easily.
  ***Don't forget to stop any jobs scheduled by other means (IE, CA7)
  e.  CANCEL PROC xx

06.  File backups.  This is not required, but I felt more comfortable
before beginning.
  a. BA DB T=F
  b. BA DEVCONFIG
  c.  BA VOLH

07.  Display and note DB and recovery log info.
    Q DB F=D
    Q DBV
    Q LOG F=d
    Q LOGV

08.  The following is the command that IBM provided me.  ADSM has to be up
to issue the command and
it does not allow any processes, schedules or  client sessions to start.
XDUMP DB DEV=devclass,CONSISTENT=YES

According to IBM this type of dump does not require an audit after the
load.

Our DB was aproximately 13GB, 40% utilization, output volumes were 3590s.
It took almost 2.5 hours to dump.
When the dump is complete, HALT ADSM.

09.  Before loading to the new database volumes please verify the
following:
  Your ADSM proc is using the DISKLOG file created in Step 03.
  You are using the original options file, not your copy.
 ** Do not overwrite or delete your old database volumes until the process
is complete and verified!

10.  Load the DB from the dump.
Sample JCL:
//*********************************************************************
//* ADSM-B DATABASE LOAD  **ADSM MUST BE DOWN **                      *
//*                                                                   *
//SERVER   EXEC PGM=ANRSERV,DYNAMNBR=300,REGION=40M,
//             PARM='/LOADDB DEV=DUMP3590 VOL=500511'
//OPT       DD DSN=SYSDASD.ADSMB.OPTIONS,DISP=SHR
//DSK       DD DSN=SYSDASD.ADSMB.DISKLOGX,DISP=SHR
//DSMAMENG  DD DSN=SYSDASD.ADSM.ANRMSG(ANRMENU),DISP=SHR
//SYSPRINT  DD SYSOUT=*
//SYSTERM   DD SYSOUT=*
Our load ran approximately 26 hours and we were able to reduce to 7GB.

11. Start ADSM and DISABLE it.

12.  Check out.

13.  Be sure to update your schedules back to ACTIVE and set migration
threshholds as you want them.
Then ENABLE.

Jerry Lawson <jlawson AT THEHARTFORD DOT COM> on 03/10/98 13:52:56