ADSM-L

Re: Data Base Reduction assistance required.... :-(

2015-10-04 18:00:05
Subject: Re: Data Base Reduction assistance required.... :-(
From: INTERNET.OWNERAD at SNADGATE
To: Jerry Lawson at ASUPO
Date: 3/9/98 1:23PM
Thanks for all of your help.  However, this is beginning to take on a life of
its own.

First, on the off chance that the scheduled Expire Inventory had not run, I
tried that.  No help.

Then I tried Kelly's suggestion of adding an extra volume, and then trying to
take everything off ..... I was able to get the volume I wanted off, but
instead of giving me all of my space back, it merely moved the 164MB of
entries that were tied up to the new volume - it would only let me take 96
more off - not what I wanted.  (I was hoping this would just move valid
entries......)

SO then, Bill, I tried your suggestion.

First, where is  the documentation on Dumpdb, loaddb and auditdb?  I have
checked through the Server Guide, the MVS server installation manual (on
CDROM) and also poked through the 'sys1.samplib' member.  While I did pick up
bits and pieces, I can't find any meaningful text on how to do these
activities.  The samplib members did provide some of the syntax....

Here's what I have done so far (JCL errors and failed attempts omitted for my
sanity).

1.  Ran Dumpdb.  Created a good ADSM dump of the DB.

2.  Tried to run LOADDB.  - failed because the DB was not freshly
initialized.

3.  After several reformat jobs, and attempts to run loaddb, I finally came
to the conclusion that the only way this would work is if I reinitialized the
DB.  Followed the examples in the Installation manual, and reinitialized the
DB.

4.  LOADDB was now successful in reloading the DB, but indicated that the
dump image was inconsistent, and I needed to run and audit db with fix=yes.
The message was ANR4405.  Online help was of little assistance.

5.  I then ran an AUDITDB with fix=yes.  I received the following messages:

  ANR9999D ASAUDIT(2318): Error 2 retrieving AS.Volume.Status entry for
volume 5.
  ANR9999D ASAUDIT(1669): Error 267 checking volume occupancy.
  ANR4142I AUDITDB: Database audit process terminated in error.

At this point, I'm just glad that this is my test system.  Does anyone have any
idea what the problem is with the LOAD failing and auidt not fixing it?

The server is MVS at 2.1.0.13

Jerry Lawson
jlawson AT thehartford DOT com