ADSM-L

Re[2]: Local/Network File Spaces

1998-03-09 17:44:57
Subject: Re[2]: Local/Network File Spaces
From: David Derk <derk AT US.IBM DOT COM>
Date: Mon, 9 Mar 1998 17:44:57 -0500
Just to clarify...

If you specify 'Incremental' without any parameters (objects) then it uses
the DOMAIN option.

For the command line client 'dsmc incr' will use the DOMAIN option to figure out
which drives to backup.  Running 'dsmc incr C:' will not use the DOMAIN and
backup only the C: drive.  This works the same in the V2 and V3 client.

In the V2 GUI the list of drives was the initial window and was pre-selected
using the DOMAIN option.  These selections could be changed.  Hitting the
'Incremental' menu item would backup each drive selected.

In the V3 GUI there is no 'drive' window and no 'Incremental' menu item.
There is only a main screen which leads to the single dirtree window.
Coming in the next PTF (targeted for end of March 98) a 'Backup Domain'
menu item will be available as a 'fast-path' method to backup the entire
machine.  As the name implies it will use the DOMAIN option.

By default the DOMAIN is set to ALL-LOCAL.  This will not backup your network
or removable drives.

David Derk
ADSM Client Development

     Um...there's a thread in the discussion list wherein it is
     acknowledged by IBM that an incremental *ignores* the domain
     specification.