ADSM-L

Jerry,

1998-03-09 11:46:36
Subject: Jerry,
From: Ted Spendlove <SPENDEE AT THIOKOL DOT COM>
Date: Mon, 9 Mar 1998 09:46:36 -0700
Jerry,
Obvious, dumb question:  Did you run EXPIRE I?

Ted Spendlove
Thiokol Corp.

Date:     March 9, 1998            Time: 9:40 AM
From:     Jerry Lawson
          The Hartford Insurance Group
(860)  547-2960          jlawson AT thehartford DOT com
Another fine mess I've gotten myself into......
Another fine mess I've gotten myself into......

As an oldtimer on this list, I know this question has come up before, but I
can't remember exactly when, so I thought I'd ask it again - which means I
have to plead guilty to not paying good attention the first time it was
asked.  But based on what I do remember, this is perhaps the most ridiculous
example of this problem that's been posted......

I am trying to reduce my DB, but it will not reduce past a point, even though
the $%#@ thing is EMPTY!  :-(

Here's what I did/have done.....

I needed to run a stress test of ADSM, so I borrowed an extra 3380 volume and
added a DB file out there.  I started with a 96MB file that was 12% full,
then added an additional 1248 MB.  All was well.  I ran my stress test.  (For
the record, I defined a new Policy domain, added a new client, and ran the
backups).

The test completed successfully.  I then deleted the file spaces that I had
backed up for the test, then deleted the client itself.  I tried to reduce
the DB, but it told me that I could only reduce 1176 MB.  Since I also was
doing a couple of other odds and ends at the same time, I thought - must be
something else I did that wrote something out to the new DB vol.  So, I
cleaned up what I could, but that didn't help - I can't reduce any further.
I then went after it with a club - I exported all of the defined users, and
then deleted all of their associated file spaces, and when that was done,
deleted their node definitions.  Still I can not get the DB to reduce
further.

I then went and deleted all of the policy domains associated with the nodes,
(but I did leave "Standard").  Still can't reduce.

I then stopped and thought about it for a minute - what is using the DB
space?  Ah ha - it must be the activity log information.   So I changed the
log to 0 days retention.  ADSM stopped logging, but didn't clean up after
itself - it left all of the old log out there!  This was last Friday, so I
reset the log retention to 1 day, and left for the weekend - assuming that
the normal expiration would clean everything up.

Alas - this was not to be - I came in this morning, and found that I did
indeed have only 1 days worth of activity log, but I still can't reduce th
elog any further.  So, I sat back and tried to think of what else was holding
the space ------ ah yes - must be some tape volume entries.  So, I went in
and did a delete volhist today command and cleaned this out.  But no success
here either - I still cannot reclaim any more space.

Here are the stats:

                           Current:         Original
Available Space             1340               96
Assigned Capacity            164               96
Max extension               1176                0
Max reduction                  0                0

Currently, utilization (and MAX utilization) is 0.5 % - only 222 pages out of
approximately 42K pages in the DB.  The Q DB output also says that I have
changed .87MB since the last backup, which is 100% of my DB!

By now you have to know my question - if I am using so little of my DB, why
 can't I reduce it any further?  What can I do to get back to 96MB (short of
deleting the DB and doing disaster recovery)?

The guy who loaned me the DASD wants it back :-(((

BTW  - Is it Monday?

                                                     Jerry
                                                     Jerry

Insanity is doing the same thing over and over..and expecting the results to
be different - Anon.