ADSM-L

Re: The "incremental forever" paradigm,Was: How would you do =

2015-10-04 18:00:05
Subject: Re: The "incremental forever" paradigm,Was: How would you do =
From: Michael R Vogt
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
At 11:05 AM 03/06/98 -0600, John Schneider wrote:

>         It just seems too optimistic to presume that one copy of all =
your
> critical files would be enough, no matter what.

You actually have *TWO* copies of your files. The one on the client's
disk and the one that serves as a backup. And counting an offsite copy,
that's *THREE*. Periodic full backups buy you absolutely nothing, unless
you do not use colocation.

We've been running backups for years and have never had a single case of
a failed recovery due to a bad backup tape. (Anyone else?)

My theory is that it's far less likely that you will lose all *THREE* =
copies
of your files than it is that some disaster will wipe out your entire =
site.
And in that case, one could make the argument that the people who want =
recover the data and the systems to which they would recover it would
probably also be history...