ADSM-L

Re: The "incremental forever" paradigm

1998-03-06 12:52:09
Subject: Re: The "incremental forever" paradigm
From: "Douglas E. Babcock" <babcock AT TMD DOT COM>
Date: Fri, 6 Mar 1998 11:52:09 -0600
At 11:05 AM 03/06/98 -0600, John Schneider wrote:
*SNIP*
>Please explain to this novice why, on the one hand, we
>implement a backup strategy to cover the possibility of loosing disks,
>be we ignore the possibility of the backup media itself going bad?

*SNIP*

Also, let's not forget that remote host disks do go bad, and that
performing a full restore from an "incremental forever" backup set
will usually result in a extraordinary number of tape mounts and
a correspondingly long restore window. Periodic full backups help
alleviate this problem.

Regards,
Doug

--
Doug Babcock <mailto:babcock AT tmd DOT com>
Doug Babcock <mailto:babcock AT tmd DOT com>

To see what I/we do, visit the StorageTek CAM/EBF home page at
http://www.stortek.com/StorageTek/software/cam/camhome.html