ADSM-L

Re: Performance on NT Server

1998-03-02 10:17:55
Subject: Re: Performance on NT Server
From: "Kelly J. Lipp" <lipp AT STORSOL DOT COM>
Date: Mon, 2 Mar 1998 08:17:55 -0700
Eric,

The more memory the better.  You note didn't say how much you were using,
but 256 is probably enough.  I've seen a site with 640 MB, but never saw
ADSM use it all.  NT will use the memory for file caching, however.

I'm not surprised to hear you are getting better performance direct to
tape.  Especially if you have very fast networks.

There is a setting in NT under Network, Services, Server, Properties,
Maximize throughput for network applications.  You might set this and retry
your numbers.  We have seen some benefit in using this setting instead of
the file share setting.

Has anybody done any comparison between a RAID 5 array and just a bunch of
disks?  I'm thinking RAID 5 enough for the database and leave the rest
alone for storage pools.  Data moves to tape so protection isn't essential
on the disk storage pools.

Kelly