ADSM-L

Re: ADSM ver 3 backing up network drives I don't want!

1998-02-24 15:17:07
Subject: Re: ADSM ver 3 backing up network drives I don't want!
From: ALLEN BARTH <abarth AT KEMPER DOT COM>
Date: Tue, 24 Feb 1998 14:17:07 -0600
     There was discussion on the list back when the V3 clients first came
     out.  And there wasn't a lot of feedback.  IMHO, that was becuase
     there weren't many using the V3 client any could only *conceptualize*
     what was being discussed, as opposed to actual experience, myself
     included.

     It wasn't until I installed the NT V3 client (I'm the ONLY one using
     it at our site) that I actually go to see what happens.  I'm unamused!
     So were the people who had to handle the extra sixty 3490e carts.  I
     guess I was lucky to have enough DB space to hold all the new entries!

     Just what does DEFAULT mean with regard to Domain?  Why would you add
     an activity item to do what is supposed to be done in the first place?
     Is this new activity item going to be DEFAULT also?  I fail to see the
     logic in backing up all the data on servers that are attached to my
     desktop machine just because I wanted an incremental of the desktop.
     I think that the gui should come up with my node half yellow, and then
     by expanding the tree, I should see 'local drives' all yellow with a
     check.

     I haven't tried a command line 'dsmc i' or scheduled operations yet so
     I can't comment on them.  But I am a bit worried.  Is it *just* the
     GUI that can't figure out what defaults are, or is it all of the V3
     clients?

     Just my thoughts-
     Al