ADSM-L

Notes Agent / Application database vs mail

1998-02-19 08:03:17
Subject: Notes Agent / Application database vs mail
From: Thomas Haddad <thaddad AT COLUMBIAENERGYGROUP DOT COM>
Date: Thu, 19 Feb 1998 08:03:17 -0500
We are implement Notes on NT 4.0 servers. The backup traffic has greatly
increased. Looks like many .NSF (systems)  files along with user mail (.NSF
also) are backup'd each night. The Notes Agent allows document only backup
without  grabbing the entiring database. How does it handle 'mail' files? Does
it treat all .NSF files the same?
Notes has a nightly admin process that modifies the timestamp on many critical
system NSFs so ADSM regards that as a change and a back of the same (large)
files occurs  each night. Im a new user to the Agent as you can see! I have it
onsite but not installed yet. I have the use of it divided this way

1. Install it on a large Notes apps servers we have (intranet). These are local
servers and I can see the immediate gain with the Agent!

2. Install it on our Notes mail server(s). Some of the Mail servers are
processed by ADSM over a Wide arean network by data transfer rate/traffic is a
major concern!! Right now ADSM is trying to send each mail file
/Notes/data/mail/*.NSF over the Wan to my ADSM/AIX servers in it entirety.
Willl the Agent really help here? How would I recover a mail file using the
Agent. Right now I recover the *.NSF file and replicate it in whole back to it
its proper server/directory..