ADSM-L

Re: 3590-B11 on a 43P

1998-02-08 13:46:22
Subject: Re: 3590-B11 on a 43P
From: Ray Pratts <pratts AT IBM DOT NET>
Date: Sun, 8 Feb 1998 12:46:22 -0600
Armando,

I just finished installing a 3570 (which seems to be very much like a
3590, from ADSM's point of view.)

Here are a few excerpts from the ADSM Server Version 2 Release 1 Level
0.15/0.15 Release Notes concerning the 3590.  The Atape is the only
driver needed.  For more info about the 3590, check the "IBM SCSI Tape
Drive, Medium Changer, and Library Device Drivers (GC35-0154-01)".  This
manual can be downloaded in Postscript format, from the same ftp site
that has the latest Atape driver (see below)

I hope this helps.

--
Ray Pratts
Ray Pratts

3590 and 3570 Tape Drives
-------------------------
|=========================================================================|
|=========================================================================|
| Device Name           | Supported Formats          | Estimated
Capacity |
|=======================|============================|====================|
| IBM  3590             | 3590B, 3590C               | 10
GB              |
|=========================================================================|
| IBM  3570             | 3570B, 3570C               | 5
GB               |
|=========================================================================|

       (See "Changes to the DEFINE DEVCLASS command" in the
       CONFIGURATION SECTION for information on defining 3590 and
       3570 Tape Drives).

ADSM support for the 3590 and 3570 Tape Drive

Follow installation instructions for the 3590/3570 as found in IBM SCSI
Tape Drive, Medium Changer, and Library Device Drivers (GC35-0154-01).
When the mkdev command is executed, either at the command prompt or by
SMIT, the drive's special filename is assigned, eg. "rmt0".  As with
other devices, you will need to know this special filename when you use
the DEFINE DRIVE or DEFINE LIBRARY command to define the device to the
ADSM server.  It is the value provided for the DEVICE= parameter.  For
the 3590/3570 model B11, the value of this parameter for the library is
"rmt0.smc", as shown:

      DEFINE LIBRARY mylibname LIBTYPE=SCSI DEVICE=/dev/rmt0.smc

(The '0' in '/dev/rmt0.smc' may be assigned a different number by AIX
when the mkdev command is executed.)

For the 3590/3570 drive, the value is shown:

      DEFINE DRIVE mylibname mydrivename DEVICE=/dev/rmt0

Changes to the DEFINE DEVCLASS command
**************************************

ADSM support for 3590 Devtype and Format parameters.

DEFine DEVclass devclassname DEVType=3590 FORMAT=DRIVE|3590B|3590C

ATTENTION 3590 Users
The Atape device driver level 2.6.1.0 is a PRE-REQUISITE for users that
have 3590-B11s or 3570s.  Without this level, users will see the
following error message when bringing up the server:

    ANR9999D MMSSCSI.C (3633) UNSUPPORTED SCSI LIBRARY

To obtain this version of Atape:
  1) anonymous ftp to index.storsys.ibm.com
  2) cd to /devdrvr/AIX.
  3) issue the commands "bin" and "get Atape.2.6.1.0.bin" to download
     the file in binary.