ADSM-L

Re: selective vs. incremental

1998-02-04 12:46:04
Subject: Re: selective vs. incremental
From: "Smith, Richard" <smithrr AT MARITZ DOT COM>
Date: Wed, 4 Feb 1998 11:46:04 -0600
Ann,

        The first backup ADSM takes is a full backup.  From then on, on
less you do selective backups, ADSM performs incremental backups.  As
for us we just let it do incrementals.  One thing to remember is that
the word incremental does not mean what it used to.  I think ADSM should
call it a full incremental.  When ADSM does and incremental backup, it
still looks at all of the files, however, it only backs up the files
that change.  We've had some problems here with people that think when
we say files that change, it only backs up the part of the file that
changed.  This is NOT true.  If the file changes, the WHOLE file gets
backed up fully.  Hope this helps

Rick Smith
Maritz, Inc.
Storage & Security Administration