ADSM-L

Re: exclude directories

1998-01-30 13:28:45
Subject: Re: exclude directories
From: Rui Malheiro <rmalheiro AT MAIL.TELEPAC DOT PT>
Date: Fri, 30 Jan 1998 18:28:45 GMT
Replying to: Mark Steph <Mark.Steph AT ERICSSON DOT COM> (Thu, 29 Jan 1998
09:00:48
-0600)
>I got lots of replies... all which I had tried before.  I am using V3 on
>I got lots of replies... all which I had tried before.  I am using V3 on
>sunos/solaris. Exclude is working fine for FILES, but I still get
>directories backed up.  While this doesn't take up much space, it tends to
>be confusing for operators.  This is especially compounded with network
>appliances that keep a .snapshot architecture, giving historical directory
>structures going back (hours, days, weeks).

On version 2 directory entries were *allways* backed-up. You could only
exclude the files. On V2:

EXCLUDE /dir1/.../*

would exclude from backup every file on every directory under "/dir1", but
would backup all directory entries under "/dir1".

On version 3 you can exclude directories by using the "Exclude.dir" keyword.
On V3:

EXCLUDE.DIR /dir1

will exclude every file *and* directory entry under "/dir1". Notice that the
in V3 you have two exclude kwywords: "EXCLUDE.DIR" and "EXCLUDE.FILE",
though "EXCLUDE.FILE" can be abreviated to "EXCLUDE".

--
Rui Malheiro,
Rui Malheiro,