ADSM-L

Re: Protocol Violation

1998-01-29 14:49:04
Subject: Re: Protocol Violation
From: "Prather, Wanda" <PrathW1 AT CENTRAL.SSD.JHUAPL DOT EDU>
Date: Thu, 29 Jan 1998 14:49:04 -0500
Betsy, don't consider this a definitive answer, but it may help you
until you get more information:

I see the ANR0484W Protocol Violation errors every day from our desktop
clients.
It appears to me that ANYTHING that interrupts an ADSM WIN32 session at
the client end (shutting down the Scheduler Window on Win95, power off
the PC, etc.) can result in the ANR0484W message on the server end.

I don't know an easy way to find out what your problem is, especially on
NT.
We have had several bizarre problems with NT 4.0  machines communicating
via IP.

        *       There is actually a "name service" that runs on NT that
is involved in resolving IP names.  We have had that get hosed on a few
NT machines, but rebooting  clears it up.

        *       We have had some WinNT machines fail to connect
intermittently if they were also running some other  IP-intensive
application, like PointCast.  In that case rebooting and running with
other apps shut down should work.

        *       Since the GUI works but the Scheduler doesn't, there is
the possibility that your registry entries for the Scheduler service are
damaged.

        *       There was an earlier thread today about problems with
failing to connect if you are in Prompted mode - check that out.

Here are the things I would try:

*       Make sure he has stopped and restarted the service, but still
has the problem.

*       Reboot NT and start the ADSM Scheduler without starting up any
other apps like email or Netscape and see if you get the same results.

*       If that doesn't work, (1) shut down the NT scheduling service
(2) go to a DOS window  (3) make sure you can PING the ADSM server,  (4)
cd to the baclient subdirectory, (5) type DSMC SCHED and see if that
works.  If it works but the Service doesn't, must be a problem with the
service.  If it doesn't, it must be a problem with IP on that machine.

*       If those things don't work, try reinstalling the Scheduler
Service.

Hope this helps...

Wanda Prather
Johns Hopkins Applied Physics Lab
301-953-6000 X8769
wanda_prather AT jhuapl DOT edu

"Intelligence has much less practical application than you'd think."
              - Scott Adams/Dilbert