ADSM-L

Re: ADSM for AIX V4.2.1 Client Install on AIX 4.3

1998-01-29 02:02:13
Subject: Re: ADSM for AIX V4.2.1 Client Install on AIX 4.3
From: Mackey Morgan <mmorgan AT US.IBM DOT COM>
Date: Thu, 29 Jan 1998 02:02:13 -0500
I ran into this problem also. What I found is that the client filesets included
on the ADSM UNIX clients CD were at level 3.1.0.0 and failed with the message
you described. What I also found is that the latest client updates, available
from the ADSM anonymous ftp site (ftp://index.storsys.ibm.com I believe), are
at level 3.1.0.1 and will install without complaint on AIX 4.3. To allay your
fears (somewhat;) about using ADSM V3.1 on AIX 4.3, the ADSM web site states
that it has been tested and is supported.

Just in case you happen to also be installing the ADSM V3.1 server code on AIX
4.3:
I also found that the ADSM V3.1 server installation, via the AIX smit interface
"smit install_latest", is still very ill-behaved. By this I mean that the
filesets install successfully, but the default ADSM database, recovery log, and
random access storage pools are not defined. There was only one tiny message
buried in the smit.log output that even tipped me off to what had actually
happened (except, of course, that the ADSM server wouldn't start up!!!). The
problem is that the ADSM installp command (still!) cannot successfully
determine how much space is required in /usr to successfully complete the
install. I found empirically that I needed about 108MB free space in /usr (V3.1
does not appear to care that there was ample space available in /var!) to succes
sfully complete installation of the server, web shell client, command line b/a
client, adsm.devices, and the cmdline admin client. (I created a separate jfs
for the on-line ADSM html-based pubs: /usr/share/adsm.)

The other approach is to "count your blessings", ignore the ADSM defaults, and
just go ahead a create the database volumes and recovery log volumes (sized
appropriately for your requirements) via the ADSM dsmfmt utility and create the
ADSM database customized to your liking.

I hope this is helpful to you, and potentially to others out there "on the
bleeding edge".

OVVM:  IBMUSM33(mmorgan)   <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<  E-Mail   >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Internet:  mmorgan AT us.ibm DOT com
 VoiceMail: (972) 280-3278 (tieline 452)   <<<<<<<<<<<<<  Phone
IBM Global Services, Product Support Services-----------AIX, SP, ADSM Software
Services

ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU on 01-28-98 06:10:46 AM
Please respond to ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU @ internet