ADSM-L

Fw: Restoring

1998-01-27 12:52:11
Subject: Fw: Restoring
From: Campbell Esplin <Campbell AT KINGSLEY.CO DOT ZA>
Date: Tue, 27 Jan 1998 19:52:11 +0200
Hi, TURNING OFF VERSIONING will leave your ADSM solution completely void
and useless as you will end up with only 1 version per file backed
up....and that is the last time the file was backed up. And yes, your
'point in time' recovery (even with ADSM V3) will be impossible if your
original intent of designing the ADSM solution did not cater for this
requirement...which implies that recovery requirements must dictate ADSM
solution design. ADSM is not just another  product to use for recovery
purposes. Implementation must ensure that logical grouping of files, to be
backed up together, are bound to the same/similar management class(es) that
will ensure consistent point in time recovery. Doing directory level
restore wil then require carefully designed filters (corresponding to those
used in your INCLEXCL lists (where you assigned the mgmtclass)). This way
you can at least expect to get a consistent point in time image of
logically connected files after recovery. And maybe added function to ADSM
would be the capability to restore data at the mgmtclass level??? Like it
is with DFSMS and DFDSS function on the OS/390 platform.

Campbell Esplin
Excalibur Business Solutions