ADSM-L

Re: Lotus Notes Installations

1998-01-27 05:10:35
Subject: Re: Lotus Notes Installations
From: Rui Malheiro <rmalheiro AT MAIL.TELEPAC DOT PT>
Date: Tue, 27 Jan 1998 10:10:35 GMT
Replying to: "Kelly J. Lipp" <lipp AT STORSOL DOT COM> (Mon, 26 Jan 1998
10:28:24
-0700)
>Hey gang,
>Hey gang,
>
>Who among you is backing up a large Lotus Notes installation?  How big?
> Using the Agent?  Performance?  I'm working with some folks that are
>thinking of having a 300 GB Lotus Notes install.  I assume this will be on
>many servers and not just one.  What's this going to do to my ADSM backup
>solution?

We have a very small Notes site (less than 200MB) on AIX (RS/6000 43P). I've
been using the agent to back it up for about two months and things are
looking ok.

From my testing, the agent is useful specialy in "oops" situations, where
you delete/updadte some documents. I disaster recovery situations you may
want to use a full/incremental approach, for performance reasons. Something
like a weekly incremental of database files using the ADSM client with daily
incremental of documents using the ADSMConnect Agent.

I also think that the decision factor of backing up a notes database using
the connect agent or adsm client is the update ratio of each database. If
most of the documents are updated daily it might be better (for performance
reasons) to use the adsm client. If few documents are updated, then the
connect agent is definitely a wise choice.

--
Rui Malheiro,
Rui Malheiro,