ADSM-L

Re: db size

1998-01-22 18:19:09
Subject: Re: db size
From: Mackey Morgan <mmorgan AT US.IBM DOT COM>
Date: Thu, 22 Jan 1998 18:19:09 -0500
Ann,
I would add that ADSM is not generally used to back up UNIX (ie. the operating
system), which accounts for a huge chunk of those 200,000 files you mentioned.
I support AIX installations for which I recommend using either mksysb (an AIX
command contained in the fileset bos.sysmgt.sysbr) for operating system backup
or else Sysback/6000, a separate program product that is moderately priced and
has excellent features for backup/recovery of AIX Opsys and non-root Volume
Groups. So for the "bare metal restore" portion of your overall backup strategy
(please don't forget this part!! :-o) , use one of these products and, with the
possible exception of AIX/UNIX configuration files (eg. /etc/*), there wouldn't
be any need to duplicate the backup of base UNIX over and over again (you
select what to backup/exclude via your include/exclude file). If you are not
using AIX, you should be looking for similar products or OS utilities that work
with your OS.

Mackey Morgan,
IBM Global Services, Product Support Services-AIX, SP, ADSM Software Services

ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU on 01-22-98 12:59:26 PM
Please respond to ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU @ internet