ADSM-L

Re: Running both V2 and V3 AIX servers on same machine

1998-01-21 15:58:31
Subject: Re: Running both V2 and V3 AIX servers on same machine
From: Rolf Bogus <rolf.bogus AT URZ.UNI-HEIDELBERG DOT DE>
Date: Wed, 21 Jan 1998 21:58:31 +0100
Larry,

we did what you wanted to do for the same reasons and it works.

> Before upgrading my production V2 ADSM server to V3, I of course need to
> do some testing.  Since installation of V3 requires removing V2, I first
> installed V3 on a test machine.  However, I need to be able to run a test
> V3 server on the same machine as my production V2 server, because that is
> where the 3590 tape drives (in a 3494) are attached.  It seems to me that
> I ought to be able to do that, using a different TCPPORT, separate log and
> database and disk storage pools, and different category numbers for a few
> tapes in the 3494.
>
> So, I copied all of the files in /usr/lpp/adsmserv/bin from the test
> machine where V3 was installed to a different directory on my production
> machine.  I edited the dsmserv.opt file to change the TCPPORT, and
> formatted a new log and database.  However, when I start the server, I get
> a great many messages like the following:
>
>   Error retrieving message nnnnn for 1 from EN_US
> or
>   << Message number nnnnn not available for language EN_US >>
>
> The server seems to initialize OK, and I can issue commands at the
> console, but most of them result in messages like the ones above.  It
> seems that the server is not finding the message repository file.
> Apparently there were one or more steps performed during the install by
> SMIT that didn't carry over when I copied the files from the test machine
> to the production machine.
>
> Has anyone been successful trying to run both a V2 and V3 AIX server on
> the same machine?  How do I get around this problem of messages not being
> found?  And even if I get around this problem, are there other problems
> with what I am attempting that I haven't considered or run into yet? Can
> someone from IBM comment on this?  There is no way that I can take the
> risk of upgrading my V2 server without first doing some testing of V3 in
> something close to my production environment, and that means that V2 and
> V3 must coexist on the same machine, albeit with separate databases and
> storage pools.  I would prefer that they be able to run concurrently, but
> I would settle for being able to run them one at a time.

Just copy the relevant message files from your test machine where ADSM
V3 was installed (/usr/lib/nls/msg/en_US/...) to an own directory in
/usr/lib/nls/msg (e.g. /usr/lib/nls/msg/adsmtest) and set the LANGUAGE
value in dsmserv.opt to this value (LANGUAGE adsmtest). Then make a link
in the locale directory /usr/lib/nls/loc to let adsmtest point to your
standard locale (we used adsmtest -> en_US ).

Rolf

Rolf Bogus                   email: Rolf.Bogus AT URZ.Uni-Heidelberg DOT DE
Rolf Bogus                   email: Rolf.Bogus AT URZ.Uni-Heidelberg DOT DE
Universitaetsrechenzentrum
Im Neuenheimer Feld 293      phone: +49 (6221) 54 4507
D 69120 Heidelberg           fax:   +49 (6221) 54 5581