ADSM-L

Netware Opt Files / Performance

2015-10-04 18:02:07
Subject: Netware Opt Files / Performance
From: INTERNET.OWNERAD at SNADGATE
To: Jerry Lawson at ASUPO
Date: 1/15/98 3:37PM
Interesting results - as you probably know, the processor utilization parm
handles the amount of time ADSM uses the CPU before it gives it up to other
NetWare processes.  The number you select (10) is the number of NetWare timer
units, which equates to 1/100 of a second per unit.  Thus what you are doing
is running for 1/10th of a second before giving up the CPU.

We have played with this a little, but not for handling network throughput -
we were trying to balance the ADSM activity against the overall CPU activity.
On an older 50 Mhz processor, we selected 10 as a decent trade off - setting
it at 25 (1/4 second) noticeably slowed down NetWare tasks such as Login.

However, based on your description, I would see your improvement as logical -
obviously a longer amount of CPU time for ADSM  will improve throughput.
When running with the default (1) - you probably didn't have much happening
before you gave up the CPU.  If the Server is busy with those silly users
that seem to like to hang around NetWare machines, then it was probably quite
a while before you got back in again!

Jerry Lawson
jlawson AT thehartford DOT com

Author:  INTERNET.OWNERAD at SNADGATE
Date:    1/15/98 3:37 PM

Has anyone had any experience with the following

We were having terrible response time on our backups through 7 T-1 lines --
mutli-treading -- less that 200 MB per hour.  Then we saw a parameter in the
opt file for Netware for PROCESSORUTLIZATION - We set it to 10 and now we are
getting 300 MB in 20 minutes --

Has anyone worked with this option before - Were the results the same for
you?

Thanks, Gail