ADSM-L

Re: MS_Exchange backupt

1998-01-16 14:42:25
Subject: Re: MS_Exchange backupt
From: Daniel Thompson <thompsod AT USAA DOT COM>
Date: Fri, 16 Jan 1998 13:42:25 -0600
Tom,

  I have no idea myself how the ADSM ConnectAgent is likely to work,
however we have implemented Backup Exec.

Backup Exec drives ADSM as a virtual tape drive.  Therefore, the backup
"philosophy" is that of server with a DLT autoloader.  You can run Full,
Incremental, Differential or Copy backups on the Exchange database.  The
Directory and Information Store databases are backed up as separate
entities.   You will have to set up Backup Exec jobs as well as set up
ranges of tapes in the virtual autoloader for each of the different backups
you wish to keep.

The good news is that I have seen Backup Exec get excellent throughput
across our 16mbs Token Ring network.  I am assuming that it uses an
effective compression algorithm and that it uses ADSM efficiently.  I would
give you more specifics, but at the moment we are really overloading our
ADSM server and the throughput of ALL of are backups is horrendous.

FYI.  The Backup Exec backups do not recover well when there is an ADSM
server or network problem.  We often have to bounce all of the Backup Exec
services when these types of problems occur.

Good luck,
  Dan T.