ADSM-L

Notes Connect Agent & the ADSM Scheduler revisited

1998-01-12 16:43:08
Subject: Notes Connect Agent & the ADSM Scheduler revisited
From: Cindy Cannam <CCannam AT GENAM DOT COM>
Date: Mon, 12 Jan 1998 15:43:08 -0600
ADSMers:

Approximately a week ago, I posted a quick note here about the inability to
get the ADSM scheduler to "call" the Notes Connect Agent I've recently
installed on a few select  Notes servers in our environment. The response I
received, although wonderfully instructional, had for the most part already
been implemented here on the Notes servers (through the NAMES.NSF file
programming section), and in the B/A client on the node. I've rechecked
everything using the instructions I had received, but the "call" still
fails. And I've checked all other potential problems (network-related,
spelling, NT user rights and accesses, etc.), but everything is fine.

So, maybe it would be more appropriate to ask the following questions:

1. The current Notes servers have specific server names, i.e., A1/GENAM,
A2/GENAM, and so forth. Unfortunately, the node definition panels in the
GUI do not support a "/" in the node name (or any other wildcard
character). I've gotten as close as I can with A1_GENAM, etc. To what
extent would this small discrepancy cause problems for the Connect Agent? I
wasn't involved in any of the naming conventions chosen for the Notes
servers, and now renaming the Notes servers is OUT OF THE QUESTION (quoting
the Notes administrators).

2. Is there some sort of parameter I could add to the dsm.opt files for the
Connect Agent that would cause the server  (MVS) and client node to "look"
for information on the Connect Agent side of the street rather than the
primary dsm.opt file for the B/A client? What would that/those parm(s) be?
Is it possible that this/these parameter(s) should be added to the B/A
client dsm.opt to point to the Notes agent for the server's sake?

3. Although the original documentation stated that the Notes agent and the
B/A client should have different names, the instructional information I
received stated that one name would suffice. The scheduler already doesn't
know who to "call" for the processes it's supposed to execute --- wouldn't
finding the same name in two different dsm.opt files be that much more
confusing? Which way is really the best?

I know I'm not the only one experiencing problems with this particular
Connect Agent, so I'm really, really interested in any input anyone may
have on the subject. Opinions? Comments?

C.L.Cannam
Storage Management
GENAM, St. Louis, MO