ADSM-L

Re: export node (+more?)

1998-01-12 11:39:53
Subject: Re: export node (+more?)
From: Andrew Raibeck <storman AT US.IBM DOT COM>
Date: Mon, 12 Jan 1998 11:39:53 -0500
I believe that the value displayed is an unsigned 32-bit integer, which means
that the largest value is 4,294,967,295 (4 GB - 1). So a value that is 4 GB or
larger is iteratively divided by 1 KB (1,024) until it is less than 4 GB. It is
then displayed with the appropriate units, i.e. KB, MB, GB, etc.

In the first query below, the first value is 3,556,409,784 which is less than 4
GB. Since this fits in a 32-bit integer, it is displayed with a unit of Bytes.
When the value reaches 4 GB (or higher), it is divided by 1,024, then displayed
in Kilobytes. Thus in the second query, the value is something on the order of
4,637,657,088 bytes, which is larger than a 32-bit integer can hold. So it is
divided by 1,024 to yield a value of 4,528,962, and displayed with a unit of
Kilobytes.

Andy Raibeck
ADSM Level 2 Support

        ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU