ADSM-L

Sizing ADSM V3 on AIX

1998-01-08 08:24:25
Subject: Sizing ADSM V3 on AIX
From: "McGrew, Perry" <pmcgrew AT AGWAY DOT COM>
Date: Thu, 8 Jan 1998 08:24:25 -0500
Currently we have ADSM/MVS V3 running on ATM network.  We have 3494 Tape
library w/ 2 3590 drives ESCON attached to our 9672 via OSA-2.  To date
we have seen horrible throughput, approx 1.5 - 1.7 MB/sec.  We have done
some extensive tuning of many parms on all platforms.  It appears our
main problem is the fact we are forced to run LANE by OSA-2 card on the
9672.
Our goal is to reach the 9 MB/sec thoughput of the 3590's
(uncompressed).  We are entertaining the posibility of running ADSM on
an AIX machine.  I am looking for help on "sizing" an AIX server.  Does
ADSM benefit most from more (or faster) CPU's, memory, multiple SCSI's
to 3590's?  I am looking for the "knee in the curve" in these
resource(s) where one will not see signifcant performance improvement.

Thanks in advance,
Perry McGrew
Agway Inc.