ADSM-L

Re: ADSM tape pool enters loop on tape write error

1998-01-05 12:16:46
Subject: Re: ADSM tape pool enters loop on tape write error
From: David Cannon <cannon AT US.IBM DOT COM>
Date: Mon, 5 Jan 1998 12:16:46 -0500
> During an archive,
> 1. - Volume 1588MK reaches EOV
> 2. - SCRATCH volume 1588U6 is mounted and defined to the storage pool
> 3. - About 2 minutes later and error is found on volume 1588U6
> 4. - Volume 1588U6 is dismounted and marked readonly

> Now for the strange bit:

> 5. - Volume 1588U6 is deleted (and thus returned to SCRATCH)
> 6. - Volume 1588MK is mounted again

> And it loops to 1. and keeps repeating this over and over and over...

The server writes to 1588MK until it reaches EOV, and then continues
with scratch volume 1588U6.  When it encounters the error on 1588U6, it
rolls back the transaction so 1588MK is left in Filling state and
1588U6 is returned to scratch.  Because the transaction is rolled back,
the database has no history that this has occurred.

> Does anybody know if it can be worked around by seting REUSEDELAY?

I don't think that REUSEDELAY will help.  The root cause of the problem is
the recurring error on 1588U6.  Either resolve the problem with that volume
or eliminate the volume.

Dave Cannon
ADSM Development