ADSM-L

Re: Undocumented error message

1997-12-19 15:45:24
Subject: Re: Undocumented error message
From: Tom Tann{s <tom.tannas AT USIT.UIO DOT NO>
Date: Fri, 19 Dec 1997 21:45:24 +0100
On Fri, 19 Dec 1997, Robbin Smith wrote:

>      Does anyone have any info on error msg ANS8776W  (volume xxxxx in
>      drive drive0 (/dev/rmt0) contains lost VCR data; performance may be
>      degraded)?  I have not been able to find any documentation on it.

adsm> help 8776
ANR8776W  VOLUME volume name IN DRIVE drive name CONTAINS LOST VCR DATA;
ANR8776W  VOLUME volume name IN DRIVE drive name CONTAINS LOST VCR DATA;
PERFORMANCE MAY BE DEGRADED.

EXPLANATION:  The Vital Cartridge Records of the cartridge in the drive
are
lost or corrupted.  This results in the inability of the drive to do fast
locates to file positions on the cartridge, which causes the locate
performance
for read or append operations to become degraded.

SYSTEM ACTION:  The server continues the operation.

USER RESPONSE:  There are two methods to restore the VCR data.  The first
method uses the MOVE DATA command to move the data off the tape and to
return
the tape to scratch or empty status.  The VCR data is rebuilt when the
empty
tape is rewritten from the beginning-of-tape. The second method rebuilds
the
VCR by loading the tape and locating directly to the end-of-data.  This is
done
by ADSM in normal use when new data is appended to the end of the tape.
It can
also be done independently of ADSM by loading the tape in an unused drive
and
using the tapeutil program.  Select the tapeutil option "Space to
End-of-Data".

adsm>