ADSM-L

Re: ADSM Install causes Win95 problem?

1997-12-19 10:41:49
Subject: Re: ADSM Install causes Win95 problem?
From: "Prather, Wanda" <PrathW1 AT CENTRAL.SSD.JHUAPL DOT EDU>
Date: Fri, 19 Dec 1997 10:41:49 -0500
YES, I have had the ADSM install cause Win95 problems, but not exactly
what you describe:  Out of about 200 installs:

        *       Twice we have had problems where the InstallShield setup
just terminated in the middle of the setup.  This was on a PC that
already had a copy of the client.  Fixed by deleting old adsm files and
rebooting the PC.  Several times.

        *       Three times we have had clients with Win95 registry
errors shortly after the install.  (They weren't fatal, just display the
"registry has been corrupted, press OK to restore and reboot" message
from Win95.)

        *       On one PC the MSExchange client failed after installing
adsm,  due to a corrupted dll.  Problem went away when the dll was
restored.

        *       Twice the admin GUI client has appeared to install
correctly but would not work.  In both cases we found the dsmadm
executable to have the wrong number of bytes - copying the file from
another PC fixed the problem.

None of the problems were recreatable on another PC.  I suspect, but
can't prove, that these problems will NOT occur if the install is done
right after a clean reboot.

I also expect that it has to do with what .dll files are included in the
install.  I would like VERY much to know exactly which dll files are
replaced, and under what circumstances...  anybody have that
information?

Wanda Prather
Johns Hopkins Applied Physics Lab
301-953-6000 X8769
wanda_prather AT jhuapl DOT edu

"Intelligence has much less practical application than you'd think."
              - Scott Adams/Dilbert