ADSM-L

NT & OS/2 pre-recovery data -Reply

1997-12-17 08:55:08
Subject: NT & OS/2 pre-recovery data -Reply
From: Marco Bartolucci <marco AT CAE DOT CA>
Date: Wed, 17 Dec 1997 08:55:08 -0500
     I certainly would like to see these bat files that you have created.  I'm
new
to ADSM and NT and could use all the info I can get my hands on.

Thanks Once again

   and have

Happy Holiday Season

>>> Daniel Thompson <thompsod AT USAA DOT COM> 11/02/97 10:23pm >>>
ADSMers,

  I have been working on a bat file to run before nightly incremental
backups on my
  NT and OS/2 servers.  The intent of this bat file is to run utilities to
gather as much machine, OS or drive information as possible and store this
in a directory.  Then, if a large recovery is needed, we can restore this
information to another locale to assist in the recovery.

The bat file also saves a snapshot of all the drives.  This is for 2
purposes: 1) post-recovery verification and 2) Tracking down the incessant
user claims of 'I'm sure it was there and you should have a backup".

I have gotten working copies of these bat files that I have tested for a
while and about ready to roll out to production.  Is anybody interested in
these bat files and the listing of the utilities that it will attempt to
call.  On NT all of the utilities are either part of NT itself or the
Resource Kit.  On OS/2 the utilities are either just REXX cmd files or
freeware.

I also have an OS/2 utility that we run on our OS/2 domain controllers.
This utility allows you to use a web browser on your workstation to get
specific information on user's drive redirections or alias information
without having administrative access to the domain.

If anyone is interested in trying these utilities out, send ME an e-mail.
Also, if anyone is doing the same sort of thing, please share your
experiences or utilities.

Thanks,
Daniel Thompson
Storage/Automation Management - USAA