ADSM-L

TCPWINDOWSIZE & Tuning

1997-12-15 10:07:41
Subject: TCPWINDOWSIZE & Tuning
From: "McGrew, Perry" <pmcgrew AT AGWAY DOT COM>
Date: Mon, 15 Dec 1997 10:07:41 -0500
I've got a lot of great feedback on this listerve for tuning "tips".
One of the problems our staff has is that TCP/IP doesn't appear to have
"consistent" naming conventions across platforms.
I was wondering if I can get some specific values based on our
environment & platforms:
ADSM/MVS 3.1 & TCP/IP 3.2 running on OS/390 R3 (not running Open
Edition)
Clients:
HP-UX 10.20, AIX 4.2, Novell 3.12 and 4.11
(All ADSM Clients are at 3.1 + current ptfs and O/S's have all
applicable ATM patches)
Our mainframe has OSA-2 ATM which is connected to IBM 8265 ATM switch as
are all the ATM NIC cards in the UNIX machines.  Re run LANE (OSA-2
doesn't support Classical IP yet) and MTU is set to 1500 (we are
ethernet 10BaseT shop).  The ATM network is dedicated for backup but we
are only seeing 1.5 - 1.6MB/sec throughput based on ADSM and FTP
timings. These figures don't vary much -- so they appear to not to be
platform specific and do not change whether I use ADSM to disk or tape.
I appeciate any TCPIP/ADSM tuning parameters I should have specified on
the platforms I've listed above.
Thanks,
Perry McGrew
Agway Inc.