ADSM-L

Re: win95 registry restore ?

1997-12-12 13:34:22
Subject: Re: win95 registry restore ?
From: William Ball <wball AT KENT DOT EDU>
Date: Fri, 12 Dec 1997 13:34:22 -0500
I have done it by GHOSTING an image of a basic system back to the client
and doing a restore with the replace option turned on. In order to make
this work successfully I ran my backup of this client using the SHARE
DYNAMIC option and turn it on just for those subdirectories that contain
the system files. Typically, ADSM locks out the backup of these
directories because they're open but by the same token the chances of them
being updated at the time of backup is minimal so the 'fuzzy backup' they
talk about will work.

Mainframe backups have been able to successfully do backups of open files
for years, I think the ADSM people need to re-think the backup scheme. For
a backup product to be totally useful, ALL files need to be backed up NOT
just the ones that aren't open. You can't rebuild a client (aka pc) when
you only have PART of the files you need.

Just my opinion.

--
    Bill Ball
    Bill Ball