ADSM-L

More on ADSM and encryption.....

1997-12-11 10:14:13
Subject: More on ADSM and encryption.....
From: Tim Dobrowolsky <tim AT CATRS.CAT.CC.MD DOT US>
Date: Thu, 11 Dec 1997 10:14:13 -0500
Hi everyone.  Enough people have emailed me asking about SSH and ADSM so
I decided to post to the list. SSH is avaiable via download from the
Internet, but I purchased it from Data Fellows just to get the complete
package.

You can see their web page at http://www.datafellows.com

SSH has two parts; the server and client. Orginally it was created just to
provide encrypted telnet sessions, but later the feature of "port forwarding"
was added. Port forwarding allows you to create a local TCP port on the
client that appears
to be whatever server you want to talk to. For instance, my pc at home is set up
with a port 1500 that appears to be the ADSM server..  My ADSM client
is configured to connect to 127.0.0.1 port 1500, and the SSH client takes it
from there. This way I can backup home files and administer the ADSM
server remotely using any old ISP.

Crude diagram:

------      -----------      -------------      --------------
| pc | ++++ | Internet| ++++ | SSH server| ---- | ADSM Server|
| pc | ++++ | Internet| ++++ | SSH server| ---- | ADSM Server|
------      -----------      -------------      --------------
The ++++ links are encrypted. The ---- link is not. The SSH server and
The ++++ links are encrypted. The ---- link is not. The SSH server and
the ADSM server can be the same box as the port forwarding is all done
on the TCP/IP level.

The encryption method is reasonably strong from everything I've gathered,
but you should check that to your satisfaction.

By the way, SSH works with ADSM, Citrix, Xwindows, Web.  The only thing it
doesn't work with that I found so far are Oracle clients (A shame!).

I would have written this mail more clearly, but work demands my attention.

If anyone has configuration questions I'll be glad to help.

Good luck.