ADSM-L

Network Storage Manager -vs- Roll-yer-own

1997-12-10 12:52:43
Subject: Network Storage Manager -vs- Roll-yer-own
From: MARK SIMONDS <msimond AT USWEST DOT COM>
Date: Wed, 10 Dec 1997 10:52:43 -0700
Hi and thanks for the help.
We currently have 4 ADSM systems running under MVS
and are now in the process of adding one or more
UNIX implementations of ADSM for another project.

We are trying to decide if we should use IBM's Network Storage Manager,
or move forward with a Solaris implemenataion.

I realize that these are broad questions, but here are our issues:
1) We are not an AIX environment, does NSM somehow remove or shield
   us from the typical OS administration? Will we need to learn AIX?
2) Has anyone done a cost study between NSM and a roll-yer-own of
similar
   capacity.
3) Does IBM really step up to the support they claim they provide with
NSM.

  Mark Simonds
  U.S. West  ~  Life's Better Here
Technologist, Enterprise Wide Electronic Backup and Recovery Systems
                (303)624-3482 | msimond AT uswest DOT com