ADSM-L

Re: Lotus Notes Agent

1997-12-09 20:34:25
Subject: Re: Lotus Notes Agent
From: Cyndie Behrens <cbehrens AT VNET.IBM DOT COM>
Date: Tue, 9 Dec 1997 17:34:25 PST
>I have run the agent in a different configuration (AIX ADSM Server, OS/2
>clients), and the performance was pretty bad.  The backup time got to be quite
>long, bad enough that we discontinued using the agent as backups were running
>into the next working day.
>
>Your results may vary, but I would suggest testing it out before putting it
>into production.
>
>Nick Cassimatis
>Distributed Storage Management Team
>RTP, NC
>T/L 444-7302
>919-254-7302

Nick, I'd like to understand your performance concern.  The agent should
definitely reduce your backup time because it is incremental....only backing
up the notes/docs that have changed.  So the amount of data you are backing
up daily should be substantially reduced.

The first time you run the backup with the agent, it will take a long time
because it is backing up every note/doc....it is breaking up the databases
into individual notes/docs/forms/views.  But after this first time, the
rest is incremental forever with the agent.....you never do a full backup
with the agent again.
thanks,
Cyndie Behrens (IBM San Jose)