ADSM-L

Re: Multiple option files per server

2015-10-04 18:03:06
Subject: Re: Multiple option files per server
From: INTERNET.OWNERAD at SNADGATE
To: Jerry Lawson at ASUPO
Date: 12/2/97 10:56AM
With Novell, then you shouldn't have any real problems.  You should by now
have seen the responses from Frank Ramke about the new options available in
V3 of the ADSM Command Line clients - this would let you get by with just
having to install the code once - just define two options files.

I think the only thing you have to be aware of here is the capacity of the
NetWare machine and the communications adapters you have installed.  My
experience with NetWare clients have been on older (486) machines - ADSM can
drive them pretty hard - by that I mean CPU utilization is high.  I have no
experience on Pentium machines for Novell servers; perhaps the added
horsepower helps with ADSM.  What I am trying to say (its too early in the
morning) is that you shouldn't expect the run times to be cut in half when
you do this.

But as far as something to try - I would definitely go for it.  We have
considered it here, but never had quite the need to go ahead with the idea.

Jerry Lawson
jlawson AT thehartford DOT com

PS - I seem to remember one problem in the NetWare environment - at one time,
the NetWare client would only run if it was in SYS:/ADSM.  I don't know if
this was ever fixed or not - we found it when trying to build the bare metal
restore.  I would go with V3 and avoid the problem entirely.

Author:  INTERNET.OWNERAD at SNADGATE
Date:    12/2/97 10:56 AM

--- Message Part 1.1: Text Body Part ------------------------------

--- Message Part 1.2: Text Body Part ------------------------------
I guess I should have made my question less generic.  I have Novell servers
I guess I should have made my question less generic.  I have Novell servers
running 3.12 as my nodes and an AS/400 as my ADSM server.  I want to have
two schedules access the Novell server at the same time, backing up two
volumes a piece so it doesn't take as long to back up the entire server.

 ==> Message part  1.3 is a PCDATA file that has been sent separately.
 ==> Message part  1.3 is a PCDATA file that has been sent separately.

 ==> Document Name: Curtis J. Pogue.vcf