ADSM-L

ADSM not marking deleted files as inactive

1997-12-02 13:50:12
Subject: ADSM not marking deleted files as inactive
From: Doug Thorneycroft <dthorneycroft AT LACSD DOT ORG>
Date: Tue, 2 Dec 1997 10:50:12 -0800
We are running V2 for windows NT
On one of our data servers, all files were deleted from two drives, but
ADSM still stored
the origional files, and left them marked as active. The schedule log
for this server showed
the drives as being sucessfully backed up, and gave no error
messages.(also processed no files)

12/01/1997 21:20:59 Incremental backup of drive 'O:' with label 'O:CS19'
12/01/1997 21:21:00 Successful incremental backup of 'O:'

We attempted to run an incremental backup from the GUI for the drives,
and received "ACCESS DENIED"
So we assumed that when the files were deleted, the NT permissions were
also deleted.

We couldn't find anything wrong with the security, so we copied one file
onto each drive, and ran an
incremental backup. This finally caused ADSM to mark all files as
inactive as it should have when
they were first deleted.

Is this a bug in ADSM, or are we missing something. Do we have to leave
a file behind everytime we want
to empty a drive?