ADSM-L

Re: backup directly to tape

1997-11-28 03:19:07
Subject: Re: backup directly to tape
From: Christo Heuër <christoh AT ABSA.CO DOT ZA>
Date: Fri, 28 Nov 1997 08:19:07 -0000
Hi Ann,

You specify the destination of your backups in
the
copygroup.

The default storage pools created when you
install
ADSM are all on dasd.

You have to create a new primary storage pool
called for example 'tapepool'. The device class
you use here will determine where your backups
go.
So to put it into steps:
1)   Create a new devclass for your tape device.
2)   Create a new storage pool that points to
this
      device class.
3)   Go into your copygroup that you are using
for your
      backups and change the destination to point
to the
      new pool you created (TAPEPOOL).
4)   Run your backup and it will go directly to
tape...

Just shout if you need any clarification on any
of the
steps. (The IBM manuals are not always that user
friendly).

Regards
Christo Heuër
ABSA Group
Johannesburg
South Africa
E-Mail: christoh AT absa.co DOT za

> Hi all;
>      When we bought ADSM we were told we could
backup directly to tape. Has
> anyone done this? How do I configure this?
>
> Ann Courchaine
>
> ps. yes it's me again! I know I am annoying but
whenever this gets up and
> running I will probably take a very long
vacation beause I will need it!