ADSM-L

Re: Tape Quality Issues

1997-11-21 19:22:33
Subject: Re: Tape Quality Issues
From: Donald Coleman <coleman AT POST.QUEENSU DOT CA>
Date: Fri, 21 Nov 1997 16:22:33 -0800
At 02:14 PM 11/21/97 -0600, you wrote:
>Hi Everyone,
>
>  We are using AIX 4.2 with ADSM V2 R1 Level 5.13 and a 7331-205 8mm tape
library.  The tape drives are 7.0 GB drives and use the 160 meter tape.  I
don't know if this 7331-205 library originally had 5.0 GB drives or not.  I
am having all kinds of tape I/O errors relating to the tape media and
consequently to the tape drives.  Does anyone else have this configuration,
and if so, are you experiencing anything similar?

 We've been using this configuration for 2 years now and we are currently up
to 4 7331-205 units. We have had minimal problems with these units over the
past 2 years. The tape units are busy approximately 12 hours a day (tape
reclamation, restores migrations, etc.). I've had to replace about 8 tapes
over the past two years (bad spots for which I used AUDIT VOLUME to bypass)
and 3 tape drives.

We are currently planning on upgrading our units from 7331-205 to 7331-305
(20 GB Mammoth Tape technology).

I have been using the Exabyte 160 m XL tapes which seem to be more reliable
than the IBM tapes supplied with the unit.

   Don Coleman,
   Queen's University Information Technology Services
   Kingston, Ont. Canada  K7L 3N6
   Tel: (613) 545-2034   Email: Don.Coleman AT QueensU DOT CA