ADSM-L

Re: Proposed compression change?

1997-11-21 05:49:20
Subject: Re: Proposed compression change?
From: Rui Malheiro <rmalheiro AT MAIL.TELEPAC DOT PT>
Date: Fri, 21 Nov 1997 10:49:20 GMT
Replying to: Peter Thomas <Peter_Thomas AT MANULIFE DOT COM> (Wed, 19 Nov 1997
13:59:49 -0500)

>The idea of allowing compression (or exclusion) based on a file type is used by
>other backup products; for instance HARBOR (used to be from New Era I believe)
>has a table that can be used to say "DON'T COMPRESS" zip, tiff, etc.
>
>The only challenge might be should this be decision be made strictly by the
>client agent, controlled by the server, or under control of the dsm.opt file.

I think this would be best in the include/exclude list. Something like:

COMPRESS  YES
INCLUDE  *:\...\*.tif  NOCOMPRESS

As this could lead to a change on the management class assignment, we could
also use:

NOCOMPRESS  *.tif

The former is more powerful as we could specify no compression on a per file
basis.

--
Rui Malheiro,
Rui Malheiro,