ADSM-L

Re: how to recover unexpired data from tapes with errors

1997-11-19 15:44:57
Subject: Re: how to recover unexpired data from tapes with errors
From: Steven P Roder <tkssteve AT ACSU.BUFFALO DOT EDU>
Date: Wed, 19 Nov 1997 15:44:57 -0500
On Wed, 19 Nov 1997, Susan McClure wrote:
> I think I know how to do this but thought I would double check with the
> guru's.
> I have a tape that got a write error during an ADSM backup so ADSM marked it
> read-only and moved on to the next tape.  The bad tape obviously still has
> 'some'
> good and unexpired data on it.  Before I trash the tape, do I do a 'move
> data' command
> and move all unexpired data from the bad tape to a new one??
> Or is there another way to get the good, unexpired data off the tape....
> other than waiting
> for it all to expire ?

Those are your two options.  Issue 'move data vsn', and then replace the
tape.  The other option would risk the tape being used in reclaimation,
becoming scratch, and being used again before being replaced.

Steve (unVMix Systems Programmer/Dude) Roder
(tkssteve AT ubvm.cc.buffalo DOT edu | tkssteve AT acsu.buffalo DOT edu |
(716)645-3564 ,