ADSM-L

Re: TCP/IP port under Solaris.

1997-11-19 08:48:45
Subject: Re: TCP/IP port under Solaris.
From: Keith Medcalf <kmedcalf AT DESSUS DOT COM>
Date: Wed, 19 Nov 1997 08:48:45 -0500
In <0012900002127623000002*@MHS>, on 11/19/97 at 08:25 AM,
   Jerry Lawson <jlawson AT THEHARTFORD DOT COM> said:

>The TCPPORT number is specified in the DSM.SYS file.  The standard
>ADSM convention is to use 1500 as the port, but that is obviously
>changeable if you modify the server options file.

>I don't recall where I have seen it, but there have been times when I
>have seen messages (probably in the activity log) that have indicated
>that ADSM also uses 1501, but I can't confirm this.

TCPPORT (1500, default) is used by the ADSM Server to listen for
connections from the ADSM Clients.  TCPPORT+1 (1501) is used by the
ADSM Client Scheduler (dsmc schedule) when using SCHEDMODE PROMPTED to
listen for the "prompt" from the Server to initiate a scheduled
operation.

When you start up a client with SCHEDMODE PROMPTED, it contacts the
server on TCPPORT (1500) and registers its IP address.  It then
disconnects and listens on port TCPPORT+1 for the server to contact
it.

This is why, for example, if you clients use DHCP and the IP address
changes, the server will be unable to contact the client until the
dsmc schedule service is stopped and restarted.

Keith Medcalf       (416) 410-5791       http://www.dessus.com/ IBM
OS/2, LAN Server, DB2, TCP/IP, DOS, Windows 95,  Windows NT
 Finger or email kmedcalf-pgp AT dessus DOT com for my PGP Public Key